It’s finished! My Rory Jumpsuit–and my first jumpsuit ever–is finished! I learned some new things about making jumpsuits and about my own physical proportions that aren’t as obvious when just sewing separates. It was fun!
Making My First Jumpsuit
As I mentioned last month, the Rory Jumpsuit by True Bias looked like fun. It seemed like the kind of project that could give me some new things to think about. Naturally, I started by browsing around the internet to see what others had done with their own versions. There are loads of them on IG just looking at the Rory and Yari hashtags. (The pattern name changed at some point.) That gave me a great place to start.
When it came to cutting and sewing, working with full-body-length pieces was a new feeling. The pieces are just so long!
Modifications (to start)
I made some modifications off the bat as well as a few more after the first try-on. If I were to make this jumpsuit again, I’d make some further changes too.
Off the bat, I shortened the torso 1″. The pattern is written for someone who is 5’5″, and I’m maybe 5’4″ on a good day. Normally you might decide to take the excess out of the bodice and leg more evenly, but I already knew that I’m high waisted. Plus I wanted to be able to cuff the pant.
For any future versions, I’d definitely take a bit more length out of the bodice. The waist of the garment still falls a bit low on me, which restricts movement a bit and means the pockets are lower than I’d like for them to be. The Brussels Washer fabric that I used might also be exaggerating some of this as it’s drapey and has a good weight to it. This all makes it pull down a bit more than a different fabric choice. It’s still very comfortable and wearable.
I also adjusted the neckline a smidge by rounding it and cutting it higher. This was a personal preference, but in the end I’m really glad that I did because of how low the neckline falls on me even having done that. Making it again, I’d raise the neckline just a bit more–I’m realizing that this part of my torso is short too. Although I’m very pleased with where it ended up!
When cutting the garment, I also cut the leg a bit wider than the original pattern. (Here’s a tutorial if you are interested.) I knew I’d be able to take width out, and so I wanted to have some room to work with.
Modifications (after a try on)
After the first try-on, I decided to take a significant amount out from the width in the bodice. Although this style can look great belted, I wasn’t wanting to do that, so I worked for a closer fit. I ended up taking at least 5″ total from the width. This design has princess seams, and therefore many places to take things in–a great bonus of this particular style. Since I’d already topstitched the front and back princess seams, I took this out of the sides and center back.
The final modification had to do with the closure. After asking around and doing a smidge of research, I opted for a sewn-in snap closure. I like the clean look of this–although buttons can look great too. I’m also eager to see how this choice affects the ease of wearing it, and mainly–ahem–going to the bathroom.
The fabric is Brussels Washer Yarn Dyed by Robert Kaufman, a linen/rayon blend in the Chestnut color. This fabric is SO dreamy for a project like this. It’s comfortable, super drapey, and resists and embraces wrinkles in the right amount. As I already mentioned, the weight and drape can make it fall quite a bit differently from other fabrics, so I’m curious to see how this would fit with a different fabric choice.
This was really fun, and I’m enjoying wearing my new jumpsuit. The fabric is very comfortable, and I love the effortlessness of a single-piece outfit. Plus, sewing a jumpsuit is still new territory to me, so I am eager to make more. I can’t wait to dial in on my proportions better with the next version and try out different fabrics and styles.
I’d be more than happy to make another Rory, but instead I think I’ll try the jumpsuit suggested in Sonya Philip’s new book The Act of Sewing*. It’s not a super-formal pattern, but instead she walks you through using basic pieces provided in the book (pants + top) to make a jumpsuit. I’m think I’m ready for that adventure.
Pattern: Rory Jumpsuit by True Bias
Fabric: Brussels Washer Yarn Dyed by Robert Kaufman in Chestnut