After planning, piecing, and quilting the panels for the couch …
it was time to hack them up.
To be honest, I was nervous about this step. But I measured and marked everything all out before making the first cut. At this point, my mom and I were both working on this, so I had her come by and double check that all of my measurements and markings were correct and in the right place.
When I actually cut it, it was more liberating than I expected and quite fun. I might need to hack up quilts more often.
While I was doing that, my mom was busy making the cording…
Then we joined efforts to add the cording to the side and front panels.
It was fun to start finally seeing them come to life.
This is the more serious side…
And then here’s the party side. (I can’t stop thinking of this couch as being kind of like a mullet…)
While making this project, I kept thinking about how the couch was kind of similar to a toy that I used to play with as a kid.
I wondered how well you’d be able to understand the design of each side of the cushions when they came together despite being cut and sewn up into separate cushions. The cushions can come together to create one picture, or they can be switched and flipped around into segmented pieces of the same puzzle. I like the three dimensionality of that.
(Big thank you to Nathalie for the Doe baby model and to Elisabeth Woo for taking this photo!)
The whole continuity thing is something that I’ve been drawn to before–not in the three-dimensional way–but certainly when it comes to the fabric.
Alturas from my pattern line…
and Cowboy Circle Lattice from Savor Each Stitch.
In moving forward, I still have the two matching chairs to complete the set. With them, I’m thinking of somehow incorporating Post and going in a flame direction.